Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Basic Info

Hi all,

As you probably know, Jon and I are working at Kuengaa High School in the Paro valley of Bhutan. Jon is teaching math and I'm teaching physics.

In Bhutan, students take a nationwide exam at the end of tenth grade. The top 20 percent get spots at free public schools, and the rest either drop out or are forced to attend private schools like Kuengaa. Tuition at Kuengaa is about $450 per year, which is not much for what the school offers, but too expensive for most Bhutanese families.

Jon and I are raising money to provide scholarships to bright students, whose families cannot afford to send their students to private school. The students are going to come mostly from the remote eastern part of Bhutan. Jon and I are both using a substantial portion of our salary from the school to sponsor two kids each.

We're going to be posting bios of the students we sponsor on this website, so check back regularly!

-Eric

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I am a physics major at Wheaton College and hoping to come back to Bhutan to teach Physics. I was wondering if you had any suggestions for schools to send my application to.
    Thanks
    Claire Petersen

    ReplyDelete